Tuesday 9 September 2014

That's what she read: September



We've always been avid readers of pretty much anything and everything and have been sharing and recommending books to each other since we first met. There were many days when we would turn up to school, arms laden with books to exchange, excited to read whatever the other had to offer. We essentially started our own private book club, which has continued for years. We've both really enjoyed our books this month and so we thought we'd share with you what we've been reading!


Lizzie: 
Read: Room, Emma Donoghue
This book is brilliant, I can't emphasise how much i enjoyed reading it enough and it's definitely not my usual read. It's a story told from the perspective of a five year old boy who is living in a room with his mother. I really don't want to give away more than that as it's best read properly spoiler free! The narration can take a bit of time to get used to but it's definitely worth the effort. It's one of the most tense books I've read, I read it cover to cover in one go, I literally didn't put it down! It's a clever novel made even more harrowing reading from the voice of a child.

To Read: Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn


Sophie: 
Read: The Secret History, Donna Tartt
This book is narrated by a working-class Classics student who has earned himself a place at an expensive and elitist college. His course consists of only five other students, all of whom are seemingly wealthy and rather obsessed with their subject. The link with Classics in strong throughout the book, with many parallels to Greek tragedy. I love this book as the story opens with a murder, and then looks back to the events beforehand. You're gripped from the start and as you read on, knowing what is coming, the question of  'why' is answered. I have been so impressed with this book, I cannot wait to read Tartt's most recent novel, The Goldfinch.

To Read: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Haruki Murakami

-

If you've read any of these books, let us know what you thought of them! And please feel free to comment with any recommendations!
x

11 comments:

  1. I am planning to read gone girl too!

    xo

    http://agoldentulip.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gone Girl sounds amazing! I've been thinking about picking it up for a while now x

    holljc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog:) check out mines too:) LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good choices! I read Gone Girl and was so incredibly irritated with it. I'll be curious to hear what you think of it. I won't say anything else because I don't want to ruin it. I know a lot of people raved about it, but it wasn't for me.

    Great list though!

    V
    www.lifeplus1.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment has intrigued me a lot, I'm excited to read it! Lizzie x

      Delete
  6. Reading is one of my favorite thing to do !

    fruityandpassion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of any of the books before, except Gone Girl :) I love your photos btw xx

    www.lifeasizzie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute. Lovely books

    www.helenapolanskyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the great To-Read list! I am always looking for some reading inspiration, and I really appreciate your contribution to my self-education! :)

    http://stylesprinter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute teacup! I just love floral patterns!

    ~ Mikéla Davelyn ~
    www.simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete